One of the biggest challenges of being a new mom for me has been nursing. It’s one of the difficulties of what I call the 4th trimester. You can read more about that in this post. In addition to learning how to breastfeed, you have to learn how to make it fit into your life. One of the most frustrating things to figure out is your wardrobe. Nursing clothing is SO expensive and usually not cute. After my first outing where I ended up having to feed John Henry in public, I learned that I had to add some new staples to my closet. After doing some online shopping, I found some pieces that were reasonably priced and still fashionable. Here are some nursing friendly dresses and tops that I’ve been wearing on repeat for going places with a breastfed baby:
- Plaid Shirt Dress – I have this in white plaid size small. The dress is true to size, however be aware that your chest size may go up when you are nursing. I typically wear an extra small when shopping at Old Navy, but with my bigger chest I have to get small and sometimes medium size dresses/tops now. It is loose fitting and has buttons. PSA button down tops and dresses are YOUR BEST FRIEND when it comes to nursing in public! My favorite way to wear this dress is with these over the knee boots I talk about in this post.
- Crochet Lace Trim Shift Dress – This dress is a simple black dress. It also has buttons to make breastfeeding when out and about easier. I love that this dress can be dressed up or down. It is a thin material, which is great for living in the south. On cooler days, I pair it with a cozy cardigan or light jacket. I wear a size small and think this dress is also TTS.
- Lace Trim Swing Dress – I ordered the berries galore color of this dress. It’s a great maroon shade for the autumn season. This dress is a great transitional piece between seasons. I have it in size small. I’m wearing it in the picture above. ⬆️
- Wrap Front Sweater – I saw this sweater while browsing the women’s section at Target. It was on sale and when I saw the two pieces that separate in the front I thought it would be the perfect nursing piece. I wear my nursing cami underneath it and like to pair this sweater with jeans or these pants from Target. I purchased a medium because I wanted this top to have a looser fit.
- Nursing Cami – I purchased this Medela® nursing tank (size medium) and LOVE the fit. It is slimming and soft. The nursing clasps are of good quality too! I wear this under several nursing friendly tops and around the house under a comfy cardigan.
- Button Down Chambray – You can’t ever go wrong with chambray! Like I said before, button downs are your BFF for nursing. The chambray I had worn previously was too small for my postpartum chest 😬 so I sized up to a medium.
- Fringe Cardigan – This chic cardigan was a fun find that I stumbled upon on one of my favorite motherhood and lifestyle blogs. Lynzy has great style and shared this cardigan that she used as a nursing friendly top. It really is perfect! It has buttons on either side for pinning the cardigan. I wear the Medela® nursing tank under it. This piece is a little more pricy, but I purchased it with a 20% off code during a sale.
There you have it! Nursing outfit ideas that won’t break the bank and don’t look frumpy or boring. Have any other nursing outfit ideas you’d like to share? Feel free to comment below. 🙃